What is mediation?
The process of an independent and impartial third party talking to two separate people or groups involved in a disagreement. The mediator will try to help both sides agree or find a solution to the settlement of the divorce.
There are a number of reasons why we recommend mediation:
- To try and get an agreement without the need to go to Court.
- In order to resolve issues and disagreements in a non-confrontational manner.
- To remain constructive and preserve the dignity of all involved.
- For channels of communication to remain open.
- Where children are involved, to minimise any animosity.
Mediation is this is almost always cheaper because it does not involve going to Court.
It usually means that both parties have co-operated, and are more involved in reaching agreement collaboratively between themselves rather than this being imposed upon them by the Court.
There are a number of different organisations that carry out mediation and we are always happy to advise you accordingly.
Our Family Law team will be happy to discuss the options that are available to you.