I am currently training within the Family Department with a view to qualifying as a Legal Executive. I deal with the full range of family related legal matters including divorce, separation, cohabitation and children matters.
- Taking instructions.
- Instructions to counsel i.e. barristers and other professionals.
- Attending court to support counsel as and when required.
- General enquiries concerning existing, potential or future cases.
A typical day consists of:
- Dealing with potential clients on the telephone and face to face.
- Taking initial instructions for the family department including obtaining background details from clients.
- Arranging convenient appointments for clients.
- Creating files for clients and entering information onto our Case Management System to ensure continuity of correspondence and documentation.
- Drafting and typing letters, statements, documentation and file notes.
- Taking messages from clients and other solicitors via email and post.
- Advising clients of any updates or progress on their individual cases.
- Dealing with outstanding Debt Matters for the firm.
- Ensuring all client files and correspondence are kept tidy and in chronological order.
- Providing reception cover during lunch breaks and holiday periods.
I help assist Erika Williman, Head of Family Department to deal with all aspects of family matters including:
- Prenuptial Agreement
- Financial Settlement
- Domestic Violence